2009 Preseason Rankings

Talk about whatever you see fit here. Which would be pretty much anything...

Moderator: Free Bagel

Free Bagel
Site Admin

2009 Preseason Rankings

Post by Free Bagel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:47 am

Here we go again folks (and with two days to spare), welcome to the 2009 edition of Free Bagel's Preseason Rankings. I will give the usual disclaimer here. This is for fun, please don't take anything said here personally. I am not here to question anyone's fantasy football knowledge or ability for as I have proven plenty of times before, the majority of the stuff I say here will be utterly wrong and make me look like a fool a few months from now. As usual, if I say you screwed something up, chances are your better off than if I said you did a good job anyway, given my talent for being wrong about this stuff. This is just meant to be fun to read. Plus, with the crazy parity we've had in this league over the last few years, there really aren't any bad teams.

This offseason was THE offseason. The league started up four years ago, and most people signed their best player to a four year contract. That left us with a lot of teams (especially the top teams) with star players getting ready to hit the RFA market. This was the offseason where bottom teams had a chance to become contenders overnight.

But that's not really how it happened. Some big names did indeed look poised to hit the RFA market, but most of them never made it there. In the end, the rich got richer as most of those guys ended up back on the top teams whose owners were aggressive and went out and got them, while the teams that sat around and waited for them to hit RFA, never saw them arrive there. Let's take a look at how each team ended up after all the chaos...

Micanopy Mudslides
QB: Philip Rivers, Matt Hasselbeck, Brady Quinn, Shaun Hill
RB: Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Chris Wells, Cadillac Williams, Chester Taylor, Chris Brown, Gartrell Johnson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson
TE: Antonio Gates, John Carlson
K: Garrett Hartley, Olindo Mare
Def: Chicago Bears

Projected Starting Lineup
QB: Philip Rivers
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Steven Jackson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Calvin Johnson
FLEX: Andre Johnson
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Garrett Hartley
Def: Chicago Bears

Present: A
Pretty much studs at every position here. The only thing keeping this from being an A+ is that, for the first time in years, the Mudslides have some depth issues at RB. Fortunately for them, they have three stud WRs so they don't have to rely on Beanie Wells starting right away in the flex, but a couple injuries could really set this team back a bit, unlike in years past where a couple injuries to RBs just meant a slight downtick.

Future: A+
There's not a significant player on this team that has less than 3-5 years left before the typical fall-off ages, with most of them having even more than that. The hardest thing is going to be managing all their contracts.

Offseason Grade: B
The Mudslides' big trade this offseason was one to extend their future, while somewhat diminishing their present. In the short-term, Moss to Fitz may not be that much of an upgrade, if any at all. And while it definitely is long-term, making the trade with Fitz having no contract cost them the ability to keep Brian Westbrook, leaving the team thin at RB. They were however able to parlay him and some DDs into a quarterback and draft pick, but I have a feeling they will badly miss Westbrook this year.

Best Move: John Carlson for 2dd is going to end up being a steal.
Worst Move: They mortgaged a bit of their present to get younger at a couple positions, basically moving Moss/Westbrook for Fitzgerald/Rivers

Overall Rank: 2

Brentwood Beavers
QB: Peyton Manning
RB: Michael Turner, Jonathan Stewart, Darren Sproles, Michael Bush, Leon Washington, Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings
WR: Marques Colston, Hines Ward, Torry Holt, Lance Moore, Hakeem Nicks, Domenik Hixon, Nate Burleson, Limas Sweed
TE: Owen Daniels
K: Kris Brown
Def: Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers

QB: Peyton Manning
RB: Michael Turner
RB: Jonathan Stewart
WR: Marques Colston
WR: Lance Moore
FLEX: Hines Ward
TE: Owen Daniels
K: Kris Brown
Def: Miami Dolphins

Present: B-
Pretty solid all across the board, with a couple studs mixed in there with the potential for big weeks. This team yet again has some question marks at RB, though fewer than previous years. While Turner makes for a great #1 RB even if I'm a bit down on him personally this year, that's the only back on his roster that projects to get even half of his team's carries. Stewart, Sproles, and Michael Bush should provide some good weeks, but it looks like it may be a bigtime boom or bust situation from week to week as far as the Beavers' running backs go.

Future: B+
There is a lot of youth here, with only Ward and Holt looking like the may be declining in the immediate future. If Stewart can ever land a featured back gig in the future he could be a monster. Unfortunately, DeAngelo is only 26 as well so that future may be a ways off.

Offseason Grade: C+
The Beavers laid pretty low this offseason, picking up fill-in pieces in RFA and seemingly choosing to again go the route they had success with last year, saving a good chunk of DDs for the regular season.

Best Move: Lance Moore for 2dd is pretty ridiculous
Worst Move: Picking up Kerry Collins only to drop him later

Overall Rank: 8

Hollywood Hookers of Los Angeles
QB: Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, Sage Rosenfels
RB: Steve Slaton, Larry Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, Edgerrin James, Tashard Choice, Jamaal Charles, Mike Hart
WR: Brandon Marshall, Chad Ocho Cinco, Chris Henry, Donald Driver, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly
TE: Jason Witten
K: Nick Folk
Def: San Diego Chargers

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Steve Slaton
RB: Larry Johnson
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Chad Ocho Cinco
FLEX: Knowshon Moreno
TE: Jason Witten
K: Nick Folk
Def: San Diego Chargers

Present: C+
The team is just literred with question marks this year. Countless guys that could be great, or could be total duds. Is Brandon Marshall going to play? Is he any good without Cutler? Was Steve Slaton a one-year wonder? Does Larry Johnson have anything left in the tank? Will Knowshon get the majority of the carries in Denver? Will the entire Cincinnati offense have a resurgence? Can Matt Schaub stay healthy?

This team definitely has the potential to be a top team this year if things work out, particularly with the Bengals offense. Only time will tell how many of these guys return to former glory, but there are just too many major question marks here for me to give them a higher grade.

Future: B
Most of these guys are pretty young, so this is just going to boil down to the answers to the questions presented in the section above. Still though, Slaton/Moreno should produce a nice starting backfield duo going forward.

Offseason Grade: D+
The Hookers really just made a couple moves this offseason, including the signing of Chad Ocho Cinco for a very expensive 12dd in RFA. If he can return to the form of old it could be a steal, but that is a major, major "if". The other big move was trading for Jason Witten for 5dd to franchise him. While that is good value, compared to what some of the other 0 year players were going for on the market I think the Hookers could have done better with their open franchise tag.

Best Move: Even if there were better deals available, landing Witten for 5dd was still a bargain.
Worst Move: I think 12dd for Ocho Cinco was way over his market value this offseason.

Overall Rank: 10

Illinois Intimdators
QB: Donovan Mcnabb, Jay Cutler, Drew Stanton
RB: DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, Jamal Lewis, Dominic Rhodes
WR: Terrell Owens, Santonio Holmes, Devin Hester, Michael Crabtree, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jerry Porter
TE: Tony Gonzalez, Desmond Clark
K: David Akers, Matt Stover
Def: Carolina Panthers, Oakland Raiders

QB: Donovan Mcnabb
RB: DeAngelo Williams
RB: Joseph Addai
WR: Terrell Owens
WR: Santonio Holmes
FLEX: Jamal Lewis
TE: Tony Gonzalez
K: David Akers
Def: Carolina Panthers

Present: B
While the Intimidators have solid starters across the board, they are really lacking in depth. A few injuries or busts and this team, with 0 dynasty dollars and 0 contract years available to sign free agents, could be hard up to find starters at a couple positions. This is a team that will need DeAngelo Williams to pick up right where he left off at his record breaking pace last year in order to go the distance.

Future: D
Owens, Mcnabb, Gonzo, and Lewis are all pretty elderly, and Addai doesn't strike me as a guy that will have a significant role for an NFL team for long. The main thing this team has going for it beyond the immediate future is DeAngelo Williams, but even his future has some questionmarks withou Jonathan Stewart behind him.

Offseason Grade: B+
The Intimidators offseason is a story of a slew of great moves, marred by one (IMO) very bad one. We'll start with the good. The Intimidators put most of the rest of the league to shame in RFA. For 16dd they nabbed three key pieces of this team in Donovan Mcnabb, Tony Gonzalez, and Jamal Lewis. I have their draft pick and was thinking I'd end up with a top pick next year, but after that RFA run they made I don't see it happening anymore. Mcnabb for 4dd is a ridiculous bargain. Also, landing an elite WR prospect in Crabtree at the cost of their backup QB was great value for them, even if said prospect is now in holdout hell.

Now, the bad. Sitting on Joseph Addai as their franchise player could end up costing this team a run at the title this year. Swap out Addai for Westbrook, Portis, Pierre Thomas, Boldin, or Fitzgerald (all of whom could be had cheaply due to their 0 year contracts) and you have a championship ballclub here. However, the Intimidators were content to sit on a mediocre player on his last legs in the league in their stead. This offseason was built for teams with an open Franchise slot to get a stud for cheap, and the Intimidators passed on that opportunity.

Best Move: Mcnabb for 4dd is a steal, especially with Cutler becoming a bit of an unknown in Chicago
Worst Move: Franchising Addai when there were so many 0-year studs out there for cheap.

Overall Rank: 6

Toronto Mookies
QB: Matt Ryan, Derek Anderson
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, LeSean McCoy, Tim Hightower
WR: Randy Moss, T.J. Housmandzadeh, Anthony Gonzalez, Jordy Nelson, Brian Robiskie, Marvin Harrison
TE: Greg Olsen
K: Josh Brown, Lawrence Tynes
Def: Pittsburgh Steelers, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew
RB: Chris Johnson
WR: Randy Moss
WR: T.J. Housmandzadeh
FLEX: Thomas Jones
TE: Greg Olsen
K: Lawrence Tynes
Def: Pittsburgh Steelers

Present: A+
That's a pretty scary looking lineup right there. There isn't a ton of depth on it, but there should be plenty to get by, and the Mookies have an enormous amount of DDs to pick up players as they need them. MJD/CJ4.24/TJ may well be the top running back trio in the league right now. There are no holes in this starting lineup.

While Thomas and Jones and the WRs are on the old side, there is still a ton of studly youth on this team. MJD and Chris Johnson should anchor the RB situation for years.

Offseason Grade: B
The Mookies were stuck in a tight spot this offseason, with both MJD and Larry Fitzgerald on 0 year contracts. The Mookies did a good job to get something good out of it, moving horizontally or perhaps even up in the short term with Moss, at the expense of 5 years of age.

On the flipside, I'm not really sure what the Mookies' plan is with hoarding all these dynasty dollars. Kensat kicked off a bit of a trend with the success he had saving a handful of DDs for the regular season last year, and many teams seem to have decided to employ that same strategy this year. The Mookies took it to another level though, hanging onto 17 DDs. As I said, I'm not sure what their plans are for all the cash, as that's way overkill for in-season free agents and next year's RFA market looks much weaker than this year. The Mookies had a ton of DDs and an open RFA tag that they could have used (acquiring one of those 0 year players for cheap) to get a player to really push this team over the top. I think they got caught sitting on their hands a bit waiting for all those guys to hit the RFA market and then missing out when they all got traded to teams that could franchise them at the last minute.

Best Move: Pittsburgh's defense for 4dds could pay off big.
Worst Move: Went a bit overboard with the DD hoarding for a team that will be a top contender.

Overall Rank: 1

Colombia Dealers
QB: Eli Manning, Chad Pennington, Trent Edwards, Mark Sanchez
RB: Frank Gore, Ladainian Tomlinson, Regge Bush, Arian Foster
WR: Anquan Boldin, Roy Williams, Laveraneus Coles, Steve Breaston, Chris Chambers, Mario Manningham
TE: Dustin Keller, Heath Miller
K: Joe Nedney, Jay Feely
Def: Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints

QB: Eli Manning
RB: Ladainian Tomlinson
RB: Frank Gore
WR: Anquan Boldin
WR: Roy Williams
FLEX: Reggie Bush
TE: Dustin Keller
K: Joe Nedney
Def: Philadelphia Eagles

Present: B+
This team looks to be rolling the same dice they did last year, with three good RBs but no one behind them. Last year they were lucky and none of them missed a game, but the WRs really let the team down. The Dealers have tried to correct that this year by going out and getting Anquan Boldin. There are two big questions for the Dealers this year. Is it the end of an era for Tomlinson, and can Reggie Bush actually stay on the field for once? If both of those work out, this is a team that could really do some damage.

Losing Tomlinson in the near future is going to really set this team back, as they will have to find another RB lest they rely on Reggie Bush to be a week-in, week-out starter.

Offseason Grade: B+
I like that the Dealers went out and were aggressive to try and address their biggest weakness. The Dealers needed WR help, and they went out and got it by making a move for Boldin. While I think they might have overpayed for Roy, his upside at a position of need was probably worth it for this team. I wasn't a huge fan of the Crabtree trade, but that gave them the freedom to make the move for Boldin, which was crucial.

Best Move: It took some work, but they were able to finally get a stud WR at a pretty cheap price.
Worst Move: Roy was a bit on the expensive side.

Overall Rank: 4

Hokkaido Bears
QB: Tom Brady, Marc Bulger
RB: Matt Forte, Brian Westbrook, Pierre Thomas, Julius Jones, Correll Buckhalter, James Davis
WR: Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Kevin Walter, Robert Meachem, Percy Harvin, Patrick Crayton
TE: Vinsanthe Shiancoe, Tony Scheffler
K: Robbie Gould, Jason Elam
Def: Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Matt Forte
RB: Brian Westbrook
WR: Roddy White
WR: Vincent Jackson
FLEX: Pierre Thomas
TE: Visanthe Shiancoe
K: Robbie Gould
Def: Baltimore Ravens

Present: A
What a change from a couple years ago. The former doormat of the league, under new ownership, made a huge turnaround last year, parlayed that with a great offseason, and now finds itself entering 2009 as one of the favorites in the league. Brady, Forte, Westbrook, and White form a very strong core, and the guys around them supplement them very well. A definite contender for the 2009 crown.

Losing Westbrook in the next few years will hurt, and Pierre Thomas doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to be around for all that long. Brady/Forte/White make for a solid big three to build around going forward though.

Offseason Grade: A+
The rich get richer. The Bears put on a clinic this offseason, acquiring stud after stud for cheap and filling all their holes for bargain prices in RFA. I still can't believe Pierre Thomas went as cheaply as he did. The Bears really capitalized on everyone's saving frenzy this year (I guess we're in a DD recession as well...) and still left themselves with enough DDs left over to get them through the year, not to mention tons of contract space to go along with it.

Best Move: Take your pick from several great ones, but landing Westbrook and STILL being able to hold onto Pierre on top of that was pretty impressive.
Worst Move: Marc Bulger doesn't exactly make for the most reliable backup QB.

Overall Rank: 3

Hellas Hoplites
QB: Kurt Warner, Matt Cassell, Brett Favre, Kyle Orton
RB: Ryan Grant, Kevin Smith, Willie Parker, Earnest Graham, Danny Ware
WR: Antonio Bryant, DeSean Jackson, Bernard Berrian, Mark Clayton, Michael Clayton, Bryant Johnson, Jerome Simpson
TE: Zach Miller, Martin Rucker
K: Stephen Gostowski
Def: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

QB: Kurt Warner
RB: Ryan Grant
RB: Kevin Smith
WR: Antonio Bryant
WR: DeSean Jackson
FLEX: Willie Parker
TE: Zach Miller
K: Stephen Gostowski
Def: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Present: D+
If you look down the Hoplites lineup it looks pretty solid. However, the team is really lacking true stud-type players. I see a lot of guys that would make good/great #2's, but not good #1's. There aren't any holes in the starting lineup at all, but there just aren't those guys that are going to go off and win a game for you either. I think this team will fall in along the same lines as most of its players this year, consistently solid, but never great. The team also once again finds itself with no DDs to spend during the season.

Future: C+
The quarterbacks on this team have to set some kind of record for combined age. Not just in this league but in any fantasy league ever. That said, the rest of the squad is pretty young, save Willie Parker. Smith and Grant are a nice young duo to anchor the RB core, whose biggest concern will be holding onto their job for long enough to get old rather than the actual act of aging.

Offseason Grade: D-
Things started off decently with the landing of Warner for 4dds just prior to his announcement that he's not going to retire, but things just went downhill from there. The Hoplites once again employed their strategy of spending low amounts on lots of mediocre players rather than going after any real studs. After Warner, the team had 22 DDs more to spend and I'm not really seeing many names brought in on that list that I expect to contribute much this year.

Best Move: Nabbing Kurt Warner for 4 DDs..
Worst Move: I really don't understand the Favre signing. 4 DDs was already too much for him, but especially on a team who was spending its last 4 dds, and who already had a better old-age QB to play.

Overall Rank: 11

Boston Stranglers
QB: Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme
RB: Marion Barber, Derrick Ward, Glen Coffee, Laurence Maroney, Fred Jackson, Bernard Scott
WR: Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Earl Bennett, Kenny Britt, Ted Ginn Jr
TE: Chris Cooley, Marcedes Lewis
K: Shayne Graham
Def: New York Giants, New York Jets

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Marion Barber
RB: Derrick Ward
WR: Steve Smith
WR: Santana Moss
FLEX: Laurence Maroney
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
Def: New York Giants

Present: C
It looks like this team is going to roll into the opening week of 2009 with virtually the exact same lineup they just won the championship with, and here I am giving them a 'C'? This team will rely heavily on Drew Brees throwing near 5000 yards again, as the RB position is just loaded with questions. This team very, very badly needs Derrick Ward to end up being the primary ball carrier in Tampa and then badly needs all of their RBs to stay healthy. They're on the low end of DDs that they currently have in their pocket compared to other owners, so FA RBs are going to be tough to come by. I'm predicting a bit of a fall from glory for the Stranglers this year.

Future: C+
There's not really any age concerns here. This is mostly just a factor of, outside of Brees/Smith and potentially Barber (who is fresh off a disappointing year), there's just not many names here that are viewed as major pieces of the fantasy puzzle to hold on to.

Offseason Grade: D
The Stranglers had an interesting offseason. They spent most of their cash grabbing developmental players, but then didn't actually place anyone in the developmental slot, instead signing longshot rookies to long-term contracts. I'm guessing it was done to save DDs, but still.

Best Move: Delhomme was a bargain for 1dd, he should bounce back this year.
Worst Move: All the longshot rookies being signed to long-term deals rather than set as DPs.

Overall Rank: 9

County Hell Hooligans
QB: Tony Romo, David Garrard
RB: Clinton Portis, Brandon Jacobs, Ray Rice, Willis Mcgahee, LenDale White, Ahmad Bradshaw, Felix Jones, Le'Ron McClain
WR: Dwayne Bowe, Braylon Edwards, Derrick Mason, Josh Morgan
TE: Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap
K: Mason Crosby
Def: New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Clinton Portis
RB: Brandon Jacobs
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Braylon Edwards
FLEX: Ray Rice
TE: Jeremy Shockey
K: Mason Crosby
Def: New England Patriots

Present: B
A bit of a disappointment last year, the Hooligans look poised for a bounce-back season. They upgraded from Bush to the much more stable Portis to really round out a very solid lineup. There's a few injury prone folks in there, but the Napa has gathered all their handcuffs, and Felix Jones makes for some nice bonus potential off the bench.

I figure Portis and Jacobs each have about two good years left, but everyone else is pretty young. Rice and Felix make for some good potential backs of the future.

Offseason Grade: B-
While I think they did overpay a little bit for Portis given what a lot of the other 0 year players went for, adding him to the team was essential. The Hooligans have been teased two years in a row now by guys dominating the first 6 weeks of the season and then getting injured (Ronnie Brown two years ago, Reggie Bush last year), so Portis adds some much needed stability to the team.

Best Move: Adding Clinton Portis, even if they overpaid a bit.
Worst Move: The Hooligans way overpayed for Le'Ron McClain.

Overall Rank: 5

Dallas WarDawgs
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Donald Brown, Rashard Mendenhall, Fred Taylor, Shonn Greene
WR: Greg Jennings, Eddie Royal, Jerricho Cotchery, Lee Evans, Sidney Rice, Jeremy Maclin
TE: Kellen Winslow Jr, Vernon Davis
K: Ryan Longwell, Nate Kaeding
Def: Washington Redskins

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Marshawn Lynch
RB: Rashard Mendenhall
WR: Greg Jennings
WR: Eddie Royal
FLEX: Lee Evans
TE: Kellen Winslow Jr
K: Ryan Longwell
Def: Washington Redskins

Present: D
The WarDawgs are definitely making strides in the right direction for the future, but I think they're still a year out from being a contender. Presently they lack a second RB that figures to get even a moderate share of his team's carries to start the year, which is going to be doubly touch with Marshawn out to start the year, meaning they'll have to play two of those guys. I don't see this team being strong enough this year to overcome what will probably be a handicapped start without Lynch, but you never know. If Brown/Mendenhall can win those starting jobs before it's too late this could be a team to watchout for, because they have championship caliber WRs.

Future: B-
I think Brown and Mendenhall will both be starters by or before next year (possibly Greene as well), with their incumbents (Addai and Parker) either forgotten or off the team by then. Add in those two as starters to the rest of this young team, and you have a playoff team pretty much immediately. They'll still probably need an upgrade at QB at that point, but that's the easiest position to fix.

Offseason Grade: B-
The WarDawgs offseason was pretty conservative. No big coups, and no big screwups. This team seems to definitely be planning for the future, with three draft picks this offseason.

Best Move: They got a decent price on Lee Evans
Worst Move: Basically paid 4dd for maclin, which I'm not sure was worth it.

Overall Rank: 12

Columbus Capacitors
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Matt Stafford
RB: Ronnie Brown, Darren McFadden, Cedric Benson, Justin Fargas, Jerious Norwood, Ricky Williams
WR: Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Donnie Avery, Reggie Brown, Miles Austin
TE: Dallas Clark
K: Neil Rackers, Jason Hanson
Def: Tennessee Titans, Seattle Seahawks

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Ronnie Brown
RB: Darren McFadden
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: Wes Welker
FLEX: Cedric Benson
TE: Dallas Clark
K: Neil Rackers
Def: Tennessee Titans

Present: B-
This team sacrificed last season to prepare for the future, and they came out of it pretty well. Aaron Rodgers looks like he may be the next big thing at QB, and McFadden (with his health and what he flashed last year), Brown (with Ricky being 32), Wayne (with Harrison leaving town), and Welker (with Brady back) all look primed for possible big years. And who would have thought I'd ever be saying this, but Cedric Benson was a key pick up for this team. The team's depth is pretty "meh", but the starters look solid, and the Capacitors look ready to get back into the thick of things after taking a year off from the playoffs.

Ronnie Brown is surprisingly a bit older than most people realize given his rather short career thusfar, but he probably has 2 good years left after this one. Everyone else worth mentioning on this team figures to have at least the same, so barring any major busts (though let's face it, everyone runs into those), the future looks pretty bright.

Offseason Grade: C
It's kind of hard to give a grade here, given that the Capacitors basically didn't even have an offseason. The Capacitors took the same approach as the Mookies, only on steroids, literally signing nobody of note. A backup defense, a bench WR, and a developmental player and that basically covers the entire Capacitors offseason. That does however, leave the Capacitors with the most DDs in the league and almost 25% of the entire league's total. It looks like the Capacitors are planning on making up for the offseason by being able to bully people around for all the hot free agents in-season, so we'll have to see how that works. I guess a better grade here might be "TBD" when we see how that turns out.

Best Move: Errr, not a lot to choose from here. Stafford for 2dd is a great gamble.
Worst Move: Um, I guess I get to pick between the Seahawks as a backup defense or Miles Austin being worth a roster spot. I'll take the latter.

Overall Rank: 7

Summary of Overall Rankings:
1. Toronto Mookies
2. Micanopy Mudslides
3. Hokkaido Bears
4. Colombia Dealers
5. County Hell Hooligans
6. Illinois Intimidators
7. Columbus Capacitors
8. Brentwood Beavers
9. Boston Stranglers
10. Hollywood Hookers
11. Hellas Hoplites
12. Dallas WarDawgs

Division Rankings
1. International (1st, 3rd, 4th, 11th)
2. National (2nd, 6th, 8th, 10th)
3. United (5th, 7th, 9th, 12th)

Division Winners:
National: Mudslides
International: Mookies
United: Hooligans

Wildcard:
Bears
Dealers
Intimidators
dyNASTY overlord

Team Name: Micanopy Mudslides
AIM: Moyer9513

BMarks61

Post by BMarks61 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am

Great stuff FB, as always. I agree with most of what you said. But, I thought I'd share a few opinions of my own and provide another set of predicted standings.

Some thoughts of my own:
- Mudslides should be #1. I think Chris Wells is going to be solid quickly, and you will find him entering your flex spot more often then not. Your WRs are just plain ridiculous.

- Dealers are going to have a super solid team this year. I would probably put them right behind the Mudslides.

- I think Chris Johnson and Matt Ryan have sophmore slumps and the Mookies will get held back by their QBs all year.

- Suprise team of the year will be the Hookers. Marshall puts past behind him, LJ starts scoring again and Moreno gets majority of carries for Denver. Chris Henry also becomes a TD machine.

- The Intimidators could have a rough year. DeAngelo and McNabb will be forced to carry this team. I think every other player is looking at mediocrity.

- Capacitors could easily end up in top 5, just depends on how effective McFadden is this year.

My predicted final rankings:
1. Mudslides
2. Dealers
3. Bears
4. Hooligans
5. Mookies
6. Hookers
7. Capacitors
8. Stranglers
9. Intimidators
10. Beavers
11. Hoplites
12. Wardawgs
Team: Dallas WarDawgs

Bonzai

Post by Bonzai » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Great stuff FB. I'll be lucky to finish 9th.

While I agree that my squad is on a downturn, I like the rookies I picked up in the offseason. Coffee, Scott, and Britt all look awesome. If you think the guys I signed are longshots, wait 'til you see the guys I plan on throwing in the DP slots.
The Newport Cobras

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Oh fuck. The kiss of death.

I agree with BMarks, Mudslides should be #1.
"(dog fighting) can't be too bad of a crime."
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

Bonzai

Post by Bonzai » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm sure he's just being modest. That team is ridiculous.
The Newport Cobras

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Pdub wrote:I'm sure he's just being modest. That team is ridiculous.
Oh I agree. I'm a big Rivers fan and my biggest mistake was not finding a way to hold on to him. So while some may see his QB position as a weakness I think that they will do just fine.

The only thing I see is the depth. I'm not a big Beanie Wells fan and I think more than most that Hightower has the ability to steal significant value from him. So behind AP he has question marks and he has only 3 WRs. They may be the 3 best WRs in football but still, it's only 3. The Bears D is nothing special IMO.

Even with those scant critiques he is clearly the best on paper for the foreseeable future.
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Just saw on the history page that I am a solid 2-8 versus the Mudslides for the career and 0-5 over the past two years. Don't think that win rate is improving anytime soon.. sigh
Team: Brentwood Beavers
Email: kensat30@hotmail.com

onnestabe

Post by onnestabe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Great stuff as usual, FB!

You ain't lying about losing Westbrook hurting me in the next couple of years (hopefully he makes it that long). I am hopeful that James Davis can develop into a starting RB at some point (he's off to a great start).

I would have loved to have kept John Carlson, but I had a lot of zero-year contracts to deal with this offseason and he was the odd man out. I'm happy with Visanthe Shiancoe as his replacement, but had I known Carlson would go for so little, I would have tried to retain him and drop Scheffler.

I couldn't agree more about Bulger, but with Brady being the starter I couldn't justify spending a lot of DDs to get a guy that will only play one week.
Hokkaido Bears - Konichiwa Bitches!

UNDFTD

Post by UNDFTD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 am

Ryan, Thanks again for maintaining this awesome league and setup. We all obviously enjoy your preseason-post season articles. Keep them coming.

Back-Handed Compliments of Los Angeles :lol: My immediate response to FB's critique of my team every season.

Present: C+
The team is just literred with question marks this year. Countless guys that could be great, or could be total duds. Is Brandon Marshall going to play? Is he any good without Cutler? Was Steve Slaton a one-year wonder? Does Larry Johnson have anything left in the tank? Will Knowshon get the majority of the carries in Denver? Will the entire Cincinnati offense have a resurgence? Can Matt Schaub stay healthy?

This team definitely has the potential to be a top team this year if things work out, particularly with the Bengals offense. Only time will tell how many of these guys return to former glory, but there are just too many major question marks here for me to give them a higher grade.

Future: B Probably my best future grade. Hurray!!!
Most of these guys are pretty young, so this is just going to boil down to the answers to the questions presented in the section above. Still though, Slaton/Moreno should produce a nice starting backfield duo going forward.

Offseason Grade: D+
The Hookers really just made a couple moves this offseason, including the signing of Chad Ocho Cinco for a very expensive 12dd in RFA. If he can return to the form of old it could be a steal, but that is a major, major "if". The other big move was trading for Jason Witten for 5dd to franchise him. While that is good value, compared to what some of the other 0 year players were going for on the market I think the Hookers could have done better with their open franchise tag.

I respectfully disagree about COC. I brought him in as an elite mercenary a "Ringer" not an if of any sort. Price tag was a bit higher than expected by a few dds. Price was driven up by the unexpected shift of free agents.

Also needed him to take over Plaxico's open roster space. Having Plaxico would have rounded out my wrs fairly well. To bad he is an idiot.

My heart was set on Witten early in free agency. Owens purge from Dallas was a cheap shot to my gut.

Best Move: Even if there were better deals available, landing Witten for 5dd was still a bargain.

Worst Move: Double edged sword holding true to my convictions. Passing on a couple high end players to maintain my early free agency acquisition of Witten.

Overall Rank: 10 Reverse the Curse
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bmarks.

Top 12 out of 12

1. Micanopy Mudslides
2. Toronto Mookies

3. County Hell Hooligans
4. Hokkaido Bears - first instinct rank was 7.

5a. Hollywood Hookers - 5
5b. Colombia Dealers - 6
5c.Columbus Capacitors - 7
5d. Brentwood Beavers -8
5e. Illinois Intimidators - 9
5f. Hellas Hoplites - 10
5g. Dallas WarDawgs -11
5h. Boston Stranglers - 12

All these teams have question marks. Some more than others. Everybody has a fighters chance.
Hollywood Hookers - UNDFTD
madominguez@gmail.com
818.808.2176 Text me for quicker response. Anytime.
yahoo im: madangry88

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:31 am

Sorry that I didn't say this before but once again great work FB, I really look forward to all of your write ups. You take the time and run the best league that I am in.

I agree with you about my RBs. Funny how I have always targetted WRs but I end up with excellent RBs and iffy WRs.

I agree 100% with BMarks. I will be lucky for Ryan and Johnson not to take big steps backwards this year. I know that he has been working out and has put on muscle but he is likely to wear the hell out and any rest he gets will likely be from Lendale poaching TDs. MJD too has the possiblilty of wearing out and TJ can lose his job or break a hip so I may be stuck with an exhausted backfield come playoffs. Fingers are crossed that McCoy turns out to be what I hope him to be.

My WRs are thin and I am not counting on much from Housh and I expect to be starting Gonzalez over him almost all season. Gonz will be a top 10 wr next year but Moss and Housh will be on the way down.

I didn't deliberately set out to hoard DDs. I just didn't feel like I had many holes to fill. I need a backup TE but nothing caught my eye. I needed good D and I think that I got #1 and #2 in Pitt and Minny. I needed depth at WR but I had man crushes on Nelson and Robiskie so if I could get them for 1 DD each why not? All of my good purchases have been for 1 DD (Gonzalez, Hightower, Rivers, Olsen) and the only times that I have spent big I got burned (did I really spend 11 DD on Derek Anderson?). My big mistake was not pulling out the wallet for Rivers. I really like him and think that he will be a stud this year. With him as my #1 and Ryan as a #2 and taking him off your roster it would have evened things out but nothing that I can do about that now.

I don't have the Dealers ranked as high as you. Gore LT and Bush are just not reliable. Hokkaido is an f'n beast and may be the #2 team in the league and is just a Percy Harvin explosion away from challenging for the top spot. The international division is loaded and a good team may end up missing the playoffs.

You were pretty tough on the Hopplites. They have the depth to play matchups and start a good QB against a weak secondary every week. For the 11th ranked team I would be scared to play them because they risk putting up 100 points any week.

How did the stranglers win last year? That puzzles me. I don't like this team but Pdub always seems to make lemonade with lemons.

The Hooligans look good on paper but it's just stocked with guys that I don't like. I don't think that I've owned any of those players (except for Heap) on any team ever. Personally I think that this team sucks but everyone else likes them and they have a smart owner so what the hell do I know?

I agree with you about the Wardawgs but they will be very imposing in the future. Brown, Mendenhall and Maclin are a very solid core to build around.

I think that the Capacitors are the number 5 team in the league. So many guys are poised for career years here.

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:56 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You were pretty tough on the Hopplites. They have the depth to play matchups and start a good QB against a weak secondary every week. For the 11th ranked team I would be scared to play them because they risk putting up 100 points any week.
I agree here, especially with the bolded part. The problem is, the same could be said for just about any team in the league right now. I really had a hard time picking out "bad" teams because really every team looks like it's one or two players breaking out from being at the top, but someone had to be ranked at the bottom.

I guess that's why a measely 3 games separated first place ( 8-5 ) from last place ( 5-8 ) last year.
dyNASTY overlord

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:03 am

kensat30 wrote:Just saw on the history page that I am a solid 2-8 versus the Mudslides for the career and 0-5 over the past two years. Don't think that win rate is improving anytime soon.. sigh
It's kind of funny looking through some of those stats. You have a much better overall record than the Hookers do, but I have a much worse record in H2H matchups against the Hookers than I do against you.

The Dealers are a startling 18-7 against division opponents, that's pretty impressive and that should fuel some fire for their annual International division arguments :twisted:
dyNASTY overlord

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 am

The Dealers suck.

UNDFTD

Post by UNDFTD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:56 am

Free Bagel wrote:
kensat30 wrote:Just saw on the history page that I am a solid 2-8 versus the Mudslides for the career and 0-5 over the past two years. Don't think that win rate is improving anytime soon.. sigh
It's kind of funny looking through some of those stats. You have a much better overall record than the Hookers do, but I have a much worse record in H2H matchups against the Hookers than I do against you.

The Dealers are a startling 18-7 against division opponents, that's pretty impressive and that should fuel some fire for their annual International division arguments :twisted:
I try not to look at the overall page. My clipper-esque alltime record is sad. Reverse the curse. :twisted:
Hollywood Hookers - UNDFTD
madominguez@gmail.com
818.808.2176 Text me for quicker response. Anytime.
yahoo im: madangry88

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:23 pm

One thing that jumps out at me, The Flux Capacitors (who I thought entered a long rebuilding phase last offseason) look poised to surprise this year. Nice quick turnaround Flux.
Team: Brentwood Beavers
Email: kensat30@hotmail.com