How will your team fare this year?

The official draft room for the league's inaugural draft to fill everyone's team

Moderator: Free Bagel

Flux

Post by Flux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:29 pm

I dont want to even guess what my team will do. The teams in my division are very good and that could lead to a very average year for me. Im predicting a lot of close games all the way around

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:52 pm

QB: Trent Green, Chad Pennington, Kyle Boller
RB: Edgerrin James, Kevan Barlow, Thomas Jones, Marshall Faulk, Maurice Clarett, Anthony Davis
WR: Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald, Reche Caldwell, Michael Jenkins
TE: Doug Jolley, Daniel Graham
K: Jason Elam, Neil Rackers
Def: Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills

I drafted my team with this year in mind and very little thought to the future. Drafting prospects is difficult to do and even more so in football where nobodies come out of the woodwork to be stars.

QB

I'm not that keen on Green and I actually prefer the choice of Penny in the 8th round. I think that he will be a better QB then Green down the road. Boller has plenty of upside with his improved receiving corps and great arm strength. I think that I'll be playing matchups with my QBs a lot but with the talent I have I think that I will be above average in this position.

RB

Let me start off by saying that I think that rbs were way overvalued in this league. There were some crazy early picks on untested and risky rbs. I lost out on the rbs but more then made up for it with my receivers. So my rbs are weak. Edge is a legit #1 who will get double digit tds and close to 2,000 all purpose yards. I expect a bounce back year from Barlow. Given all of the money that they are paying him he will at least see a lot of touches and can't get much worse. He's below average for a #2 rb but I expect over 1,000 ru yds and close to 10 tds from him.

Faulk and Jones are strictly bye week and/or injury fill ins who should not see much if any playing time this year but as 3rd down backs they should get some points in my bye weeks and have the ability to start if the starter ahead of them gets injured.

Clarett and Davis are where I picked for the future. Clarett has as good a shot as any young back to become a star because he is in Denver and has shown the ability in the past. If he can get in shape, he is the kind of runner that they like in Denver and can even show some returns this year if anything happens to Bell - God knows that Clarett is better than Droughns. Anthony Davis is expected to be Edge's heir. Rhodes and Mungro are very crappy journeymen and Indy feels that Davis could develop into a quality starter, not this year but contract issues made this a safe pick and I was very happy that I could grab him.

WR

I didn't get sucked into the rb madness and got lucky with my receivers who I feel are sure things to outscore the rbs who were picked around the same time. Fitz is my future, Harrison has a few more good years left and TO is the key to my team. If he doesn't hold out I should be competitive this year. If he does hold out I am screwed.

Caldwell and Jenkins are nothing more than sleepers. They may pan out but I'm not holding my breath.

TE

I screwed up. I missed out on every single TE that I wanted. Was going to take a TE on many occasions but always held off thinking that one of my favourites would fall to me and before I knew it they were all gone. Without question my TEs suck and are the worst in the league. Maybe Caldwell will breakout and I can trade him for a TE?

DT

I love my defences. The matchups work out very well. I get 11 starts against Miami, Cleveland, Cincy, Chicago, Detroit, Tennesse and Houston

Another screw up.
I knew it as I drafted but said what the hell. In week 6 I have TO, Fitz and Barlow with byes and in week 8 I have Edge, Harrison, Penny and Jolley on byes. Both of those weeks should be losses for me (watch me be scheduled against Free Bagel for both week 6 and 8 :lol: )

Overall I think that I am ok for this year and if TO doesn't hold out and I'm not hit with a key injury I should compete for a playoff spot.
"(dog fighting) can't be too bad of a crime."
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:45 pm

Good analysis Mookie, though of course I disagree with your predictions for Edge ;).
dyNASTY overlord

Team Name: Micanopy Mudslides
AIM: Moyer9513

Flux

Post by Flux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Let me start off by saying that I think that rbs were way overvalued in this league. There were some crazy early picks on untested and risky rbs. I lost out on the rbs but more then made up for it with my receivers
Im sorry Mookie, but im going to be straight up here. I think that this statement is incredibly naive. RBs in a league w/ 12 teams that can start 3, considering the flex spot, AND a dyanst/keeper league are THE most important thing in the world. A RB in this situationa canNOT be overvalued. You need as many starting and potential starting RBs as you can get, b/c you need AT LEAST 3 legit starters or you are hosed on bye weeks, and preferably 4, so you can start 3, and have a 4th for the byes. If you dont, you are just giving up points and wins on the weeks your top guys have byes.

Ill give yout hat you have good WRs, but you are hurting terribly when your RBs have bye weeks. And since RBs tend to be the most consistent players in FF, your week to week production wont be all that great as it could be completely unpredictable.

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:14 am

Flux wrote:Im sorry Mookie, but im going to be straight up here. I think that this statement is incredibly naive. RBs in a league w/ 12 teams that can start 3, considering the flex spot, AND a dyanst/keeper league are THE most important thing in the world.
Ya really think so?

fantasy points 2004
Round 2 -
Terrell Owens - 204
Caddilac Williams - 0
Cedric Benson - 0

Oh, but they are first round draft picks and sure fire studs. Here are the running backs selected in the first round of the draft the past two years: William Green, TJ Duckett, Magahee and Larry Johnson only one of whom is worthy of a selection in the first two rounds a couple of years later.

fantasy points 2004
Round 3 -
Marvin Harrison - 201
Ronnie Brown - 0
Tatum Bell - 66
LArry Johnson - 152

These guys selected have potential but are very high risk guys. There is a good chance that each one of these guys selected in the second and third rounds will score fewer than 100 points. TO and Harrison though, if they are playing, are guarnteed to be top ten WRs.

Every year running backs come out of the woodwork to post good seasons guys like Droughns and Magahee and oldtimers have career years guys like Martin and Barber. If you ask me the naive part is using a second or third round selection on a gamble. My gambles on Barlow, TJ and Clarett also have the chance of breaking out and if they don't, at least I didn't waste one of my top 3 picks on them.

And if I fall out of the race I know that my "safe" picks of Edge and Harrison will be worth a lot at the trade deadline and I can pick up as much potential as I want.
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

Flux

Post by Flux » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:53 am

Here who was taken after you took TO, it wasnt just unproven rookies like youre making it out to be

2.09 Brentwood Beavers -- Cadillac Williams
2.10 Micanopy Mudslides (From Dealers through Strength) -- Cedric Benson
2.11 Boston Stranglers -- Ahman Green
2.12 Philadelphia Phreaks -- Tiki Barber

Round 3
3.01 Philadelphia Phreaks -- Chad Johnson
3.02 Boston Stranglers -- Donovan Mcnabb
3.03 Columbia Dealers -- Ronnie Brown
3.04 Brentwood Beavers -- Tatum Bell
3.05 Toronto Mookies -- Marvin Harrison
3.06 Bangkok Wangs -- Torry Holt
3.07 Austin Razorbacks -- Curtis Martin
3.08 Columbus Capacitors -- Brian Westbrook
3.09 Isidoros Strength -- Andre Johnson
3.10 Micanopy Mudslides -- Antonio Gates
3.11 Metuchen Lo-Riders -- Tony Gonzalez
3.12 Topanga Tampons -- Larry Johnson

Round 4
4.01 Topanga Tampons -- JJ Arrington
4.02 Metuchen Lo-Riders -- Fred Taylor
4.03 Isidoros Strength (from Mudslides) -- Javon Walker
4.04 Isidoros Strength -- Jason Witten
4.05 Columbus Capacitors -- Reggie Wayne
4.06 Austin Razorbacks -- Joe Horn
4.07 Bangkok Wangs -- Michael Clayton

Sure some of these guys are unproven, but there were a lot of studs out there who are reliable, and dependable.

Thats not even neccessarily my point either though. Im not saying you drafted poorly w/ TO and Harrison, but then you didnt just load up on potential guys either.

Im not trying to get in a debate about your draft. Im saying that overlooking RBs and assuming that WRs can carry your team just isnt going to happen, especially when you wont be able to fill a complete team of NFL starters on your bye weeks.

ShoelessJoe

Post by ShoelessJoe » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:25 pm

His draft strategy wasn't as RB heavy as anyone else's in this league. The only way to see who's strategy was "correct" will be to watch the season (and those to come).

My 2 cents, of course is that I was right (since I drafted 3 RBs in rounds 1-3) and that Mookie was wrong. :P
Team: Colombian Dealers
EMail: BMoy51@gmail.com

kensat30

Post by kensat30 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:51 am

I think my strategy could be described as "take the riskiest RB available and pray like hell" strategy. We'll see if it pays off.

I feel what you're saying though Mookie, I planned to dominate the league for several years rather than just trying to win this year, so I took some risks at RB that I normally wouldn't have. Hope everybody stays in the league for awhile!
Team: Brentwood Beavers
Email: kensat30@hotmail.com

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:38 am

I lose twice to this team????
QB: Michael Vick, Tom Brady
RB: Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, Reuben Droughns, Chester Taylor, Ladell Betts, Marion Barber III
WR: Andre Johnson, Javon Walker, Laveranues Coles,Keary Colbert, Mark Clayton, Joey Galloway
TE: Jason Witten, Marcus Pollard
K: Sebastian Janikowski, Mike Nugent
Def:Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks
I don't think so.

Week one: Buffalo at home shuts down the Texans - zero points for Andre Johnson. The Eagles hurt Mike Vick who sits out the second half. Corey Dillon fumbles twice on national television. Fitzgerald scores twice against the G-Men since Gebril has to cover Boldin and Trent Green goes crazy against the Jets secondary in his home opener.

Week nine: Thinking to take advantage of the match up, Romulan starts an ailing Vick against the Dolphins. The gamble doesn't pay off as Jason Taylor pile drives him in the first quarter knocking him out for 3 weeks. The Indy NE game on Monday night becomes a shoot out and Dillon sits on the bench while Edge and Marvin get a combined 3 TDs. The Baltimore D racks up huge points with a shut out of the Bengals and Trent Green gets into a shoot out with the Raiders throwing 4 TDs. Barlow, turning into a sleeper stud has 150 yds against the G-Men at home. Johnson has a good game against Jax but not as good as Fitz who puts on another show at home against the Seattle secondary who can't cover two good wrs to save their lives. The Toronto Mookies surge to 9-0.

Call me psychic but that's how I see things playing out. :wink:

Mookie4ever

Re: How will your team fare this year?

Post by Mookie4ever » Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Haha - this was fun
TO was the better pick
looks like time proved me right and Bagel was completely wrong :wink: