Draft Commentary

The official draft room for the league's inaugural draft to fill everyone's team

Moderator: Free Bagel

Bonzai

Post by Bonzai » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:31 am

i figured somebody would take a chance on winslow. could be a huge pick.

i'm surprised that mrob fell that far. starting in a pass happy offense and all.
The Newport Cobras

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:17 am

It's my turn and I know who I want to take but I posted a question down in the rules forum that I would like answered before I pick this guy.

I would have posted this last night but I have been having trouble getting on the site.
"(dog fighting) can't be too bad of a crime."
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:50 am

5. Injured Reserve

If the NFL places a player on Injured Reserve the team can pick up a free agent at that position only. The Free Agent acquired will cost minimum of 1 Dynasty Dollar. He will not count against the contract cap and will become a Restricted Free Agent February 1st. To acquire this player the team must place a Free Agent bid as posted in section (3B). The in-season bidding rules will apply.
dyNASTY overlord

Team Name: Micanopy Mudslides
AIM: Moyer9513

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am

rice037 wrote:so that sounds like when the player is on your team or something and this happens midseason... so when the season starts if i drafted a guy on IR i can pick up a guy at that position, but it doesn't state what happens to the guy on IR.. does he not count against the roster? so for winslow, i could sign him to a 3 year deal, have 18 people on my roster and then before the season starts, if he's on the IR, i can pick up a free agent TE at no roster/contract cost and he'll just be a RFA at the end of the season no matter... if so that's a decent deal, if you want to wait for that fucking soldier to stop being an idiot
You nailed it. A player on the IR does not take up a roster spot. So in Flux's case when Winslow is put on IR by the Browns, he can bid on a FA and if he wins that bid (if it is a TE), he can have that player take Winslow's roster spot, and the new player will not count against the team's contract cap (Winslow's contract years still count though) and at the end of the season the new player will become a RFA.

It is a package deal though, you may NOT put a TE on IR and pick up a QB to replace him, or something like that. The 'freebie' rule only applies when you are using a direct replacement for the player on IR.
dyNASTY overlord

Mookie4ever

Post by Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:35 am

When the guy comes off of the IR do you have to drop the fill-in FA that you picked up to take his spot or can you cut somebody else.

eg - Winslow put on IR and rice picks up, for example, FA Jason Witten to fill in for him. Witten is having a break out year and Winslow comes off of the IR. Can rice then cut Patrick Ramsey to make room for Winslow or does he have to cut Witten if he wants to activate Winslow?

Sorry if this is in the rules already but the rules are really long and I am at work right now.
"(dog fighting) can't be too bad of a crime."
"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog..If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.'' Clinton "Genius" Portis

Free Bagel
Site Admin

Post by Free Bagel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:46 am

Romulan is right on here. Think of the fill-in guy as having a one-year contract (just that that 1-year contract doesn't count against your cap). At the end of the season, Winslow comes off the IR and the fill-in guy becomes a RFA because he has 0 years left on his contract. You never actually "activate" winslow off the IR it is done automatically in the offseason. If you want him on the IR again next year (if he's put on the Browns IR again next year) you may place another IR bid the next year and re-place Winslow on it.
dyNASTY overlord